02 September 2009

Mr. Bobb gives me my job back

Yesterday I was called by the HR people of Detroit Public Schools and informed that I was needed this year after all. They sent me to a school that filled me doubts, but the Principal was looking for a Middle School teacher, so I was sent back to HR. I waited around with 30 or other recalled teachers until another place was found for me. After about an hour, not bad as these things go, I was sent to the extreme Northeast corner of Detroit.

My new school is John Trix Elementary. No, he was not a cereal magnate. He was an industrialist (Brass fittings). No, the teams are not the Trixters (read "Tricksters"). They are the Troubadours. I plan to try to change the name to the Trixters with a coyote, crow, or spider as a mascot.

First impressions of the Principal and staff are good, so maybe this year will be better than last. Come to think of it the only way it could be worse is if an alien burst out of stomach at some particularly inopportune time.

Anyway, thanks to those who expressed their concern. I really didn't expect to be called back, at least not until count day in four weeks, if then. I've never been so relieved to be wrong.

2 comments:

maryb said...

well, that's good! Hope you get a good (or at least a decent) class.

Teach313 said...

Thanks, Mary. Last year was a horrible year. I'm really hoping that this year I get some kids I can do something with.