28 July 2009

Pictures of Olney

While writing Extended Families, I took a break and searched the Web for pictures of the old neighborhood in North Philadelphia.




Police investigating a murder at my old playground.


15th and Olney, a bit north of my neighborhood, but not that different looking.



Olney High School (1930). I went to Cental and my sister went to Girls High, but this is the neighborhood school that we would have attended.



Rowhomes @ 6th and Olney.



The Olney train station. My parents commuted to work downtown from here. In the summer, I'd scrape up some coins (return a few bottles, search under the sofa cushions) and go downtown to wander around. Then I'd drop in at my Mom or Dad's office and get train fare home.



5th and Godfrey



5th and Chew



The north side of 5th, a few stores down from the intersection of 5th and Olney. When I was a kid, the store with the imposing facade was a furniture store, but I believe it was built as a theater.

This the shopping district on 5th St.after a wave of Korean immigration in the '80's.



The south side of 5th street across from the old furniture store.



We'd ride trolleys like this one to my paternal Grandparents' house. You could rely on public transportation in the '60's.



Some of the local housing.



Side view of the Fern Rock Theather across the street from Fisher Park.



Olney Presbyterian. My family lived a half-block north of Olney Pres and my Dad was a Deacon.


This is the closest picture I found to the kind of house I grew up in. It's definitely more run down, but it'll do until I ask my Mom to dig out an old picture.

No comments: