29 July 2009

You Can't Go Home Again (without getting really upset)

I stumbled across this video of the house in Olney where I grew up. The place is completely trashed, but I could not stop watching as the camera moved through the rooms I can still see so clearly in my mind after thirty-seven years. What a strangely compelling and horrible experience.



Kidspeak and I drove past the house in the late 90's, about thirteen years ago, and the place looked great, even better than my family left it to be honest. The porch was still enclosed, but the ugly, gray fake brick siding had been removed. An Indian family was living the house and it was immaculate. We only saw the exterior of the house, but I'm certain the interior was well-maintained. I wish I'd taken a picture of it then.

No comments: