10 May 2010

What an Exhausting Day

Today I was trapped in my room and have no idea what happened elsewhere in the school. At least three teachers were out sick, or at least they weren't at work, and I taught the fifth grade. All of it. At the same time. Four were absent, so I had to jam 42 kids into my room that usually holds 25. The first hour and a half was spent eating breakfast, taking attendance and population counts, and dragging desk after desk from across the hall and squeezing them into my room.

I know all the kids, as I teach them in platoon, but to have them all at once was ridiculous. I tried to teach, but gave it up about 1:30 pm. Unfortunately, schools dismisses at 4:15. Oh, and then I had 26 5th and 6th graders in the Extended Day program until 6:45. I'm not supposed to have more than 15, and usually have 10 or less.

Wit, insight, sarcasm, biting something and caustic other are therefore beyond me tonight. At least I was still functioning enough to avoid an exclamation point in the title. Good for me! Damn.

No comments: