03 May 2010

From the War Zone

It's late and I've been going full out all day, but I wanted to post this. Style is out, I'm afraid. Clarity is my only goal.

Monday morning (May 3rd), about 3:30 a.m., Detroit Police raided an abandoned house near my school. Shots were fired from inside and five police were hit. One was killed and the other four wounded. I don't know how seriously the four are hurt. One man inside was shot.

During the morning, police had the street blocked off and were searching house to house. A helicopter hung over the school all morning. The noise was extremely wearing. Sirens keep going off. Fifteen police raided a nearby home, backed up by thirteen FBI. A police car pulled over someone right outside my room. I had to use the full teacher voice to stun the kids back to their seats. I was worried that shots might be exchanged and I didn't want my kids standing in the damn windows.

Seven kids were absent from one class and six from the other. That's only a bit more than normal for a Monday. The students seemed unconcerned, but one girl was in tears from a bad headache, and three boys had stomach aches. I talked to them about being careful, about what to do if the Police stopped them. I also told them that there are places where the night is not full of gunshots. There is only one way to get there and that's education. Forget sports, forget music, it ain't gonna happen. Well it might, but you might get struck lightening, too. If you want out, if you a better life, it'll take hard work and a lot of it. I told them that's why I worked them so hard. That's why I got angry with the crazy behavior. I want them to get out and I know what it takes. They listened, but who knows what they heard. All I can do be honest and hope.

Detroit police are fairly brutal bunch and they will rip through the neighborhood until they have everyone involved in this killing. They will not wait for the next person to drop their gun. They will shoot to kill. I hope they catch the bastards fast without collateral damage. This will be ugly. I hope none of my students' families will be caught in the crossfire.

No comments: